Sunday 24 July 2011

Under the Weather





Rainy season in Thailand, many people keep asking me 'is it always like this at this time of year?' . The locals say that usually yes it does rain but combined with the extreme winds and frequent harsh showers this just isn't normal. As a result I have a cold and a cough, which means I have had to ban myself from eating many spicy curries and citrus salads. I've developed some gross ulcers in my mouth and at the moment I haven't found a suitable medication to get rid of them. Reading the smallest copy of Crime and Punishment with equally tiny text inside isn't helping my head either. A friend gave me a simple pyramid package which I've been told contains Durian caramel inside; unfortunately as I'm writing the ants have started to make their way into it and I think I might leave it to them. One thing that annoys me in the west is the excess packaging and plastic for products, like really is a plastic bag in a plastic bag surrounded by a big cardboard box necessary for my rice? Or people individually separating the different types of vegetables by plastic bag upon plastic bag.
Here I've noticed in some instances that with packaging the unnecessary is cut out. Curries and soups sold at market are put in a plastic bag yes, but no labels, lids, fancy cardboard designs needed; same with drugs and pharmaceuticals. My TIFFY tablets do not need to be put in a cardboard box; instead only a folded over piece of paper is required. 'Lucky dip' bags of tablets can be bought at the pharmacy for 30Baht, containing about five tablets of different shapes and sizes - lord knows what they contain but I've been told that the small yellow tablet is for a cough. One thing that is made clear in Pharmacies however :




No comments:

Post a Comment