Monday 18 July 2011

Best meal of the day




Breakfast.

My favourite meal of the day, often I will be roused from my sleep y thoughts of what delicious creation I can make for breakfast. This was the case when I was living in England, I would never go a day without eating my morning meal. I believe that it helps kick start my energy levels for the day and my mood also. Cooking for myself and making time for breakfast was important for my functioning. Nowadays I appear to be waking up past the allocated time for breakfast, past brunch even and that the only options left for me are going to consist of big heavy spoonfuls of rice or to my horror expensive tourist Thai food, I don't like to eat heavy during mid day heat. It's expensive to cook for yourself in Thailand, and although it's cheaper to eat out I don't have access to varying cheap options all the time. I don't live on the mainland, so I can't easily turn into a local cheap eatery and order a light bowl of sticky spaghetti and sweet curry sauce (which is great by the way and eaten often in the morning by local Thais).

Luckily for me when all seems lost the islands Savior comes pushing a battered old trolley full with food from the mainland. Shouting 'Ah
num ah num num num!' all Thais around know he is soon approaching. I've been told that he has been coming to the island for years and years, and there is even a song by the famous Thai Reggae band Job 2 Do making reference to this man. This is a great cheap solution to meals in the day and a great way for me to move past the typical tourist Thai food. Hey if the locals are eating it, this has to be the good stuff! People gather around the trolley and have a good root through the goods, picking out numerous snacks, desserts and bagged up meals to enjoy on the spot or save to share with friends later.

My favourites from the trolley include a small sweet dessert made from rice, custard, and cooked sweet desiccated coconut which is great for when your energy levels need a zap. '
Kow man Gai' which translates to rice with chicken; although this is made with 'Kow neouw' sticky rice and the chicken is coated with fried onions. This comes in handy 5Baht bags, great for a snack when you feel a bit peckish. These are both light options and cheap to have during the day.

Sometimes living away from mainland can feel suffocating and evoke feelings of Cabin Fever; and just sometimes a man with a trolley f
ull of treats from a 'far away' place can inject that bit of childish excitement when we see something new to try. That's what it's all about for me at the moment, jumping in and trying something new even if it is a bowl o snake curry (more on that anther time).





No comments:

Post a Comment